a few years ago, I gave up on my dream.
Next to losing my dad at 24 and the massive surgery I went through on my 30th birthday, I don't know that I've ever experienced such a complex and layered amount of pain as I did when I (temporarily) gave up on my dream for a high-paying J.O.B. back in my previous career. After failing in my first two years of business, I packed it all in for the 'security' (and comprehensive health benefits plan). Handing over my dream was physical, mental and spiritual pain all weaved together like Jenga. I was keeping it together on the surface, but on the inside I was just one faulty move away from everything crumbling.
I thought maybe health coaching wasn't for me, and that I'd have to become someone I'm not in order to succeed in this business. But that couldn't be further from the truth.
What I actually needed to become was more me.
Once the layers of what I wasn't started peeling off, I began to attract my ideal clients. The ones who fuelled me.
But it was getting vulnerable and sharing my own personal health story to connect with my ideal clients that was the game-changer. And in a short period of time I went from selling generic $47 detoxes to working exclusively with entrepreneurial women suffering burnout, in my 90-day signature health coaching program, gradually increasing my rate from $697 to $1800. Not only was I finally able to transition into health coaching full-time, I was working with the women I was meant to help.
But I get it. It's scary! And it certainly doesn't happen overnight. I was initially terrified to put myself out there, too. But I allowed myself the opportunity to be a beginner, and I realized it was possible to do it in my own way and succeed.
When you declare your desires with gut-wrenching intention, the Universe will conspire to help you.
The fear, the agony, the shame, the embarrassment, the doubt, the confusion, the overwhelm, the feeling like a loser, the trying to assure family that I would be okay (and that their worrying was actually working against me), the late nights tinkering with my website, the early mornings reading my mantras and re-wiring my beliefs, the falling down and getting up, the meltdowns in the shower and the feeling like a complete alien when out in the 'real world' because I wanted something out of my life that most people can't wrap their heads around...
Was it all worth it? Hell yes. And will I continue digging deeper and going further on this journey? You bet.
Transformational Life & Business Coaching Certification – Divine Living Academy, California (Class of 2016)
Integrative Nutrition Health Coach – Institute for Integrative Nutrition, New York (Class of 2013)
Registered Holistic Nutritionist (R.H.N.) – Canadian School of Natural Nutrition, Toronto (Class of 2010)
Postgraduate Certificate in Advertising Copywriting – Humber College, Toronto (Class of 2003)
- I started my career as a copywriter; that came in handy!
- I have 12 years marketing project management experience within advertising and medical e-learning. Also handy.
- I studied magazine and book publishing for 2 yrs, including copyediting and substantive editing (but mostly just for kicks)
- I have 6 years experience as a Registered Holistic Nutritionist and 3 years as an Integrative Nutrition Health Coach
- I've coached well over 50 clients, in various group program formats and custom one-on-one coaching packages
- I mentored 30 students through the Academy of Culinary Nutrition in the Fall 2013 and Spring 2014 terms
- I'm a 4th year alumni at Marie Forleo's B-School (class of 2012)
- I've been mentored by some of the best in the biz, including Gina DeVee, Joanna Turner & Polly Alexandre
Most importantly, I've been where you are now! And it was not very long ago at all.